Thursday, June 15, 2006

Painting Wooden Crafts

Assalam alykom:

My children go to the workshop each month at Home Depot. They so far have made many nice things. This is a free workshop on the first Saturday of each month. I have listed it on my blog before and you can read more about it here. One thing that the workshop provides is a nice wooden project to paint when you get home. The last workshop was a nice wooden tool box. It is a great piece for holding books, toys or whatever.


This one I painted for my son.









This one my eight year old daughter painted








And, this one my four year old daughter painted.









This one I painted for my girls. In Arabic, it says,"our books" on one side. The other side says, "we love to read."





Here is a list of materials:

*Wooden object (The craft stores have many unfinished wooden pieces. You can pick small pieces such as birdhouses and small boxes for around 1 dollar)
*Paint brushes different sizes
*Kilz water base primer
*Variety of colored Acrylic paints
Directions:
Depending on the piece, you may have to use a little of sand paper to smooth it. Apply 1 coat of Kilz to your piece. Let it dry and then apply another coat. This allows you to paint colors or even white paint onto your wooden piece. If you apply the paint directly, it will absorb into the wood. After the Kilz is completely dry, start painting your designs with the acrylic paint. Let them dry for at least 24 hours before you start using them. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

assalamu alaikum ummnour,
Alhamduillah these pieces surely look pretty sorry I was unable to attend the last workshop. Insha Allah looking forward for the next.
ma salaama
banu

Anonymous said...

Assalamu alaykum

Subhanallah. You know the last time you posted, I thought the kids go to the workshop to make the wooden box from scratch. I thought "wow I can never do that!" Now alhamdulillah I can go to the shop and buy the pieces and my sons and I can paint them. Yes that's a good idea for a project, insha Allah.

Um Nour/Hollie Moore said...

Assalm alykom Um Ahmad:

You do not make those projects at home depot from scratch. They are little kits. They have the directions with them and you just assemble them. Some are easier than others. Some only require a few screws and the others we have done require more assembling. If my 8 year old daughter can do it with little help. I am sure you can too. Take a look at your local home depot because it is free.