Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Spring !




Asslam alykom:

Spring is my favorite time of year. I love to see the flowers blossoming. Spring can also bring some lessons in homeschooling. You can start a little garden with your children by seed or just getting a few already grown plants from your nearest store. We do a little bit of both. I take my children with and they pick out all of the flowers and seeds. Beware: this could take some time. There were so many flowers at our local store that my children had a hard time deciding which ones to get. Once we chose just the right ones, we carefully transported them home to plant. The children where involved in the whole process right down to the planting. They carefully planned and plotted where they would plant each little flower before they started to dig. After it was all complete, we had a nice little garden. As you can see from the pictures below it is quite modest but it has potential.














This is the beginnings of the herb portion of our garden. We have planted mint, thyme,dill, parsley and two different kinds of basil.








This sign is at the front door stuck right in with the flowers. It is quite easy to make. Making a few with your kids as a nice garden project is real simple. I used a tile left over from a bathroom remodeling we had done. You paint the tiles with glass paints. Just follow the directions on the paint in how to cure it. I attached mine to a pole I painted white. I attached a piece of lace to the tile with clear silicone glue. Then, I nailed the lace on to the white pole. Here is another nice little project for some more garden art. I have made these before but not quite as flashy as these. The ones that I made where simpler in design. Just be careful when making these the metal can be a little sharp.



Now that you have seen the part of the garden that we planted from already grown flowers, you will have to wait for the pictures of the ones we planted as seeds. We dug a small area for those and planted mostly sunflower seeds, marigolds and four o'clocks. The four oc'clock seeds we harvested from last year so, it will be interesting to see if they grow. While we were digging up the ground to plant the seeds, my son was so interested at what was under the ground. He could not keep up with the amount of creatures we dug up. There where worms, beetles, spiders and many bugs we could not identify. He said that Subhanah Allah there is so many living things just right here in the ground next to the house. Here is a nice website to help you and my son identify these bugs. Here is one more site about plants that I would like to share. My kids love the Venus fly trap plant, and really want to get one. Here is a site that has some nice videos on carnivorous plants.

No comments: