Sunday, June 01, 2008

Vintage Embroidery



A finely done crewel embroidery from 1965


Embroidery can take on many different styles. There is crewel embroidery which is usually done in yarn that can be wool or acrylic. Embroidery can even be done on sweaters using this method. There is embroidery that is done with fine cotton floss or even silk. This is usually more delicate in nature and can be found on linen, cotton or even silk. There is long stitch embroidery too. This is usually done with yarn that is similar to crewel embroidery. Creating a picture that is a work of art is very rewarding. All of the pictures shown here are items that I have picked up and sold through Ebay. Some are just exceptionally beautiful.




This is a stunning sweater from the 1950's. I gave it to my daughter and she loves it!








This is a cute folk
art style using crewel
embroidery






Another fine example of crewel embroidery in a folk art style


This one is done in a cotton floss and is machine embroidered on a napkin.


The next two are antique table runners that have a beautiful crocheted lace.

















This one is another example of cotton floss with a folk art look.








This is an old pillowcase doll that I picked for my daughters. It combines embroidery with crochet. The detail is just fabulous!











A nice sachet that is done on linen and uses silk floss.









This one as an Asian design. It is done in a wool embroidery yarn.











Beautiful 3D flowers in crewel embroidery.








This my only example of long stitch embroidery. A Very nice picture and done in a stunning frame!












I apologize if this was a little hard to read. Blogger does not always cooperate with me when I try to put alot of pictures with the text. I hope you enjoy these works of art!

No comments: