Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Kindergarten Oak Meadow

Assalm alykom:

The first thing you need to know about the kindergarten is that it is VERY informal. It does not have the child reading. It only focuses on recognizing letters. It does not really even focus on writing them. My daughter was in a Pre-K 4 program and she knew all her letters and could read easy words. Once I started this program, I could see that it was not going to be enough for her. As far as math, it was only having them recognize numbers up to ten. She could already write them up to 100. I think if you have a child who your starting from scratch with, this would be fine. For reading them stories, they have the Beatrix potter stories in one book. You could save some money and just get them from the library. There is a nice craft book. I really should not have bought it because I have a passion for crafts and usually incorporate my own with my kids. I did buy the health book called Growing, Growing, Strong. It is used for the first three years. It is a really nice book. It teaches them about their body parts, germs, washing and more. It has nice activities and is put together very nicely. The rest of the curriculum has them connecting with nature and observing things outside, such as the change of seasons. Even though the kindergarten was less than I wanted, I am still going to purchase the 1st grade for her. I could see the reading book titles and they will be the level that she is at. I do not know about the rest. It is all a chance I have to take. However, based on the higher grades, it seems to be a good fit for my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Asalaamu alaikum!
Oh it is so good to find an Oakmeadow review for Kindergarden. I was really torn over it, and didn't order it for the same reasons. I might pick up the crafts book and shoot for 1st grade. I also have never homeschooled before, and it didn't look.... ? not sure... easy for me? or challenging enough for her... I would have loved to see the books in person. Nice, your blog is going in my homeschool bookmark!