Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Testing



In the state of Florida, a traditional homeschooler can
be accountable for their work in one of three ways. One
way is to have your child tested along with the public
students. Your child can take the state standardized test.
I would not recommend this unless you prepare your child
with many sample tests before hand. The public school
system works long and hard to prepare their students
exclusively for this test.
Another way to hold your child accountable is to have
them tested with a general standardized test. This would be for
example the Stanford achievement Test. This has to be
given to your child by a professional teacher.
The last way to show your childs academic progress
would to be to maintain a portfolio of all of your child's
work. You would present this to a professional teacher.
The teacher would then evaluate the work . The teacher
may talk with your child or have your child do some
reading or writing. This evaluation determines if your
child is prepared for the next grade.
As you know, I am part of the K12 virtual public school.
Therefore, my children are required to participate in the
state standardized testing. This requirement starts at 3rd
grade. I have to say, that I am not a fan of achievement
tests. I think the preparation for them consumes a lot of
quality educational time. I have friends who have hired
tutors for the children and do nothing but worry about
those tests. K12 has testing booklets through out the
curriculum. They also have a short course that teaches
the child strategies for test taking. I found this helpful.
They had a program on the computer to practice for testing.
The child would take a series of tests on the computer. After they
passed each test they earned blue ribbons. The administration
created competition amongst the students to win prizes. I feel
that the K12 preparation for this test did not detract from our educational experience. My son felt very confident in his ability
to take the test. As a matter of fact, his scores where very high.
I was very happy with this because my children do several hours
a day of Arabic, Quran and Islamic Studies. I had some
reservations that they will be able to keep up with it all.
Alhamdolilah, they are doing great! The virtual school itself
rated number one with scores in the third grade. That left an
impression with me that the k12 curriculum is accountable and
good. I also thought that since it is a "controlled" public
education for my children, if they keep up these high scores,
maybe they will qualify for scholarships or elite programs.
This entry is just another way to share my experiences down
my road of homeschooling. InshAllah you find benefit from it.

2 comments:

Edward Ott said...

standardized testing one size fits all is horrible. The test dictates the curriculam instead of the teachers.

Salam

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»