Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Decorating Notebooks















Assalm Alykom:
This year, I am having my older children write in a journal every couple of days. Sometimes, I tell them what to write, and sometimes, I let them write anything. They love poetry that rhymes, and most of the time the will write a poem if I did not give them something to write about.
We decided to decorate their journals to make it more personal and fun. Here is how we did it:

Materials Needed:


  • composition notebook

  • flat items to place on the book. we used pressed flowers, cards and construction paper. Other suggestions would be: fabric, wrapping paper, stickers, cut up magazine pictures. I do not suggest computer printouts. The ink tends to bleed.

  • Modge Podge gloss (you can pick up at any craft store or craft section in Wal-mart)

  • paint brush
Directions:

Brush a coat of Modge Podge on the notebook. Next, we carefully put a piece of construction paper the size of the book. Then, we put another coate of Modge Podge on the top of the paper. Next, we put our flat objects on the top of this. Again, you apply another coat of Modge Podge. Be sure to apply the coats evenly. The Modge Podge is very thick and leaves streaks. Finally. we would continue to put several coats of Modge Podge until we achieved to gloss we liked. Make sure you let the Modge Podge dry in between each coat. If not. it will be a thick goopy mess.


1 comment:

Fruitful Fusion said...

Assalaamu Alaykum,

Although I don't homeschool I love getting ideas for my kids from your blog ma sha Allah and this is a nice one. How old are your eldest kids? My eldest is nearly 8 and has a thing for documenting what she does so I think she'd love to have a journal! But I want to help her out with her English more so that she can have an English journal rather than an Arabic one. In sha Allah.