Last year I spray painted these bar stools white. Well, with four kids the paint did not last long. This year I decided to paint them with latex paint. After painting them a nice tan color, I decided to paint flowers and vines down the side of them. To assure that the paint would not be scratched off, I put a couple coats of polyurathane on it. Now, they look really shiney, and they clean up real easy too. For the covers, I needed something that would be easy to clean. I have tried putting a plastic over the covering with a staple gun. However, my children always complain about the plastic and it usually starts to rip. So, I came up with an easy removable cover that I can just throw in the wash. I choose fabrics that would not show to much stains. I cut a large circle bigger than the stool. I sewed a casing large enough to run a small elastic piece through it. I just tightened the elastic so it would fit snug over the stool. Now, I can remove them and wash them easily. Here is how they turned out:
My counter where the stools are, extend out to the living room area. Therefore, I just made some pillows for the couch from the same material as the stools.
Wednesday, August 02, 2006