Monday, July 17, 2006

Mosaic Flower Pots

Assalm alykom:

This next project is quite easy to do. It is a little messy, but alot of fun. Here is what you need to do the flower pots:

  • 1 clay terra-cotta flower pot
  • Silicone glue
  • Sanded grout
  • Tiles, buttons, flat glass gems, shells, broken dishes, ect.
  • disposable gloves
  • A sponge
  • a bucket
Directions:
Decide what kind of items you would like to have on your pot. You can use almost anything. This picture here is one that my children did and they used broken tile pieces and flat glass gems.

Please note that this project is very messy and is best done outside. To break the tiles, I put them inside an old towel and break them carefully with a hammer. After you get the right amount of tiles broken that you want, you glue them where you want with the silicone glue. If you have your children do this, have them wear gloves and be very careful of the sharp tile pieces. Let the glue dry for several hours. Now, you are ready to mix the grout. Grout comes colored. Therefore, you can choose the color to match your tiles. Make sure the grout is sanded grout. Mix the grout with water until it comes like a thick paste. It should be almost the consistency of peanutbutter. Make sure you have gloves on when applying the grout to the pot. Apply the grout with your fingers until you are able to push it into all of the spaces between the tiles. Do not worry if it is covering the tiles. You will wipe it off later. Let it dry for about 15 minutes. Then take a bucket of water and a sponge and smooth the grout off the tiles with the sponge. Do it very gently so you do not rub all the grout off. You have to keep rinsing your sponge off. I usually let it dry for another 10 minutes and wipe it again. I may do this several times until I achieve the look that I want. Finally I let it dry over night. The next day I will just polish the cloudiness off the tiles, and it is ready to put your flowers into it. You can use broken pieces of dishes, shells, buttons, ect. I have even thought of using legos on one for the kids room. The ideas are endless.



This is a stepping stone that I did in my garden. It was very old and looking like it could go in the garbage. So, instead of throwing it out, I tiled it! If anyone needs any help once you start. Just make a comment in the post, and I will be happy to help.


No comments: